Sunday, April 27, 2014

VIRGINIA DAVIS (11/1/42 - 10/22/13)



So very sad to read about your passing. I will remember your great spirit every time I read one of your beautiful poems. May you rest in peace, Virginia.


UNTITLED

disease is by choice
my mother had jungle

rot
and my father

gangrene
I went mad

believing all
my red corpuscles

were explosive devices
commanded by Mao

and one false step
would blow my mind

so I moved
with crazy

grace
the way

the cripple
and the child

dance
every

movement
a prayer

there were cures
my mother washed

her hands every
two hours for a

year
and they cut

off
my father's toe

in mid-dance
I was locked

in a room
with no handle

on the door
you may ask

how I came
to be here

it wasn't easy

Poem © 1994 by Virginia Davis

3 comments:

  1. Just a quick update: A really cool tribute program for Virginia Davis (on KBOO radio's Talking Earth) aired on 10/20/14. Patrick Bocarde was the host, and Portland poets Christine and Doug Spangle shared their memories of Virginia (plus an awesome poem or two). Oh, and my voice was heard (telephone). Night to remember...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be remembering you and your poems today. You are still very much missed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. An incredible soul. I will always remember our time together in the late '80s. On the stage of Satyricon or in the front rooms of mine or Monica Nelson's homes. Poetry was our collective voice. You ARE missed, dear one. You are someone who gives me strength in my own decline by disabilities. I hope you have found a steadiness that was unavailable when alive.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...