Sunday, July 12, 2015

AIDS? WHY SHOULD IT MATTER TO STRAIGHT PEOPLE?

Let us not forget


I remember the 1980s big time. Boy George, The Breakfast Club, big hair, Oprah, Wall Street, then along came AIDS. What was being done? Zero. Ronnie Reagan nodded and smiled in the White House for the cameras, while most of my friends (and eventually my lover) perished from this virus. Let us not forget.

Christian bigots ranted about family values,  yet Ryan White (an innocent youth) still died young (after he literally was forced to flee his hometown). Shame on a nation. I'm lucky to be alive. And I will continue to speak for those that can no longer speak. Again, let us not forget.

P.S. "How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world."

— Anne Frank
 
Essay © 2015 by Dylan Mitchell


 


2 comments:

  1. I lost a brother-in-law and several high school classmates to the disease. The arts community took a huge hit, too. And the pro-lifers proved again that only some lives mattered. I'm sorry for your loss, but glad for your strength to continue speaking out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank you much. It's just a difficult time for me now. So much (seemingly) is going well for the LGBT community as a whole. I just wish all of those that perished during the 1980s could have lived to see this...

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...