Sunday, November 9, 2014

SUPER STAMP SUNDAY: EMILY DICKINSON

Click on image

UNWANTED

I found an old book in the
gutter today: A battered blue
hardcover unwanted by the
world. It had been kicked
about by a brutal foot - more
than a few pages were wrinkled
and torn. So I plucked it up
and carried it home. After I
wiped off some of the dirt
I saw a cover as blue as
the sea. I wiped some more
until a familiar face appeared -
the Belle Of Amherst - my breath
stood still - Emily Dickinson in
the gutter? Imagine that! Her
good poems once fed my hungry
heart, when the busy world
wouldn't throw me a bone. Now
I'd plucked her from the gutter,
and given her a better home -
so who really saved who?

Poem © 2009 by Dylan Mitchell

2 comments:

  1. This took me back, and I realized how much I missed this from the old J/S. I am happy to find you still writing. All my best. Rovering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading. Yes, the old J/S really was a special place. Totally awesome to find your comment :-)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...