Friday, February 12, 2016

YOU

     
Photograph by Robert Mapplethorpe
                                  
Why does love
hurt so
much?

Parting, parting
is such sweet
torture.

Tongue-tied and
in sterling
silver

chains
I do a wobbly
waltz

and play with
the best of
Shakespeare

for only you:
my love,
my mirror,

my special
friend
from

Romeo and Juliet's
high balcony as
photographed

by Mapplethorpe in
stark, disturbing
black and white.

Sir, will you come again?

Poem © 2016 by Dylan Mitchell

2 comments:

  1. A great Mapplethorpe photo and a perfect poetic accompaniment. Happy Valentine's Day!

    By the way, I'm loving these "crash courses" - which I've never seen before. I watched the first two last night and I'll see the rest later tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jon! I've been a fan of Mapplethorpe's work since the late 1980s. What he managed to do with light is amazing to me. Happy Valentine's Day to you! I also am wild about the "crash courses" - an accidental Google find when I was searching for info about Sylvia Plath :-)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...