Friday, September 14, 2018

POETRY: THE MAGIC OF FINDING YOUR OWN VOICE...






I know poetry. I suffered through too many creative writing classes during my youth, and quickly figured out academic poetry is too false and easy: Where are the powerful voices: Keats, Emily Dickinson, Walt Whitman, Sylvia Plath, Anne Sexton, Dylan Thomas, William Carlos Williams,  Charles Bukowski, etc.

You can scan and rhyme until the sun hides its face in shame, and darkness surrounds you forever, but without an authentic voice you might as well throw away your pen (or computer). This little rant is the result of discovering how the academic world continues to reward those poets with too many degrees (and very little talent) - and ignores the powerful voices that are out there both in book form and online:

Walt CurtisDon Kloss, David Elsey, Jon Varga, Sherry Asbury, Virginia Davis, Douglas Spangle, Guy Kettelhack, James H. Duncan, E. D. Ridgell, Dylan Mitchell (yes, I dare to include myself because I know I ONCE had an authentic voice. However, it was gradually silenced by the academic world which only allows deluded members of quite expensive "workshops" to be called a poet).

Oh, and my best poems are hidden in newspapers, zines, and my private journals which will most likely be chucked down the garbage chute when I finally escape from this crazy money hungry world. Sadly, This is the fate of some of our most gifted poets.

Appreciate the great ones while you can! Don't let the academic world (and its many bitter critics) tell you what to read: Let your heart and mind lead you in the right direction. Trust me, you won't regret it:

Jon Varga, Don Kloss, David Elsey, Walt Curtis, Sherry Asbury, Virginia Davis, Douglas Spangle, James H. Duncan, Guy Kettelhack,  E. D. Ridgell, Dylan Mitchell (saved myself for last). If you like real poetry, these are the poets to seek out and discover what the meaning of life (and death's) really all about. Just do a quick Google search. It's as simple (and profound) as that.

Oh, and stay away from the pretentious University presses: That's where the worst poetry is found. And they charge an arm and a leg big time - just adding more insult to injury. Don't let them play you for a fool.

Poem Copyright 1934 by William Carlos Williams

Rant Copyright 2018 by Dylan Mitchell

16 comments:

  1. Autumn is my favorite season - so I'm turning over a new leaf (in terms of comment moderation). BTW, I left out one of my all time favorite poets in this rant: e. e. cummings. Pure genius....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not poet, but what you say speaks volumes regarding poetry and life in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people write poetry, but are not poets. I'm only half the poet I was during my youth, but at least I can spot a rare good poem when I'm lucky enough to find one!

      Delete
  3. Dylan, this post is a gem - especially because I can so fully relate to it. Your views on academic poetry reflect mine completely. I've always felt that it was far too false and restrictive....not to mention condescending. It suffocates the soul rather than trying to nourish it.

    I would encourage you to excavate more of your hidden poems and publish another book. I'm sure you have a lot more of them to offer than I do. I write poetry much less frequently nowadays than I used to. I'm extremely flattered (and grateful) that you mentioned me in your post.

    Autumn is my favorite season, too, and I'm delighted that you're turning over a new leaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon, when I was taking creative writing classes (a long time ago) I could not believe the crap that was considered great poetry. As you said: it was an insult to the soul.

      Oddly enough, I somehow managed to make excellent grades and even got positive feedback from the other students! But this was only because I had mastered the bad poetry most of them considered masterpieces.

      You are one of the finest poets I know, so mentioning you in my post was the right thing to do. I cannot read most poetry, but yours always grabs my attention.

      I'm quite glad summer is almost done: It nearly did me in!

      Delete
  4. Very clear-minded, well-considered post, Dylan, with which I am in complete agreement. I would, however, also like to get your take on a couple of my favorite local poets, Richard Brautigan and Kenneth Patchen. Don't know if their work is much published outside of California any more, but if you run across any, thoughts welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo, I love Richard Brautigan! His novels and his poetry. He instinctively knew (like most children) that keeping things simple and clear is the best way to go.

      It's only as we become adults that most of us end up complicating everything. The hardest thing to do is to express something profound in a simple way. Brautigan understood that. The literary world still has not given him the credit he deserves. His work is quite popular in Oregon.

      I'm glad you stopped by! I always appreciate an intelligent (and open) mind.

      Delete
  5. I popped over after seeing your comment on Jon's latest post. I KNEW I'd enjoy whatever you had to say, because I've enjoyed everything I've ever read here, but I was thrilled to see you're open to comments again.

    Anyhow, I completely agree with you. Particularly about Jon's poetry. Without a lot of fake frills, he touches our hearts like few poets can. No, I take that back. He doesn't just touch it; he rips it out of our chest and stomps on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, I think we both have a natural talent for figuring out the fake from the real when it comes to good poetry. Jon's poetry is the real deal.

    I envy you because you actually own copies of his books! And I'm doing my very best to get my hands on a copy for myself. I have read your insightful reviews of his books, and you are a very clever and honest writer. I am certain Jon is eternally grateful to have you as a friend.

    You really have opened the door to the world for him - and he deserves it big time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dylan, I'd like to add one more thing on this subject. The academic world has not only seriously tainted (destroyed) poetry - - the same thing has happened with music and art.

    As a music student and pianist, I was never able to conform to the rigid restrictions pertaining to music. And I especially loathed the stuffy, snooty, biased snobs who were music "critics" and judges at musical competitions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon, I hear you big time. I started out as a visual artist (I wanted to be the next Vincent van Gogh), but quite soon got fed up with all the snooty remarks from profs about color and perspective, etc.

      Ummm, didn't the same thing happen to Van Gogh? The bottom line is that too many teachers and critics are bitter as hell that they lack any sort of genuine talent, so they take out their petty frustrations on oftentimes talented students that are at the mercy of their tiny little brains and hearts.

      May God have mercy on their damaged souls :-)

      Delete
  8. Comments are back! And there are poets on here I have yet to discover - double treat :-) Stuck being busy for another month or so, but compiling a reading list for a bit of winter quiet time. Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lisa:

      It's really cool to hear from you :-)

      I only touched the surface about how I feel about the poetry world - but there are good poets out there to be read and enjoyed.

      I only mentioned a few of my favorites, but they all are worthy of a very long peek!

      Poets will forever hold a very special place in my heart...

      Thanks for stopping by! It really made my day :-)

      Delete
  9. So Dylan,I'm curious, who is your all time favorite poet. Are there any credible academic poets you would name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mr. Roy:

      Emily Dickinson is my all time favorite poet big time. The only credible academic poet I have any fondness for is the great Sylvia Plath. She puts all the rest to shame.

      P.S. Any chance you still might want to buy a copy or two of Jon's great first book (I know I'm shameless as hell)?

      That's why so many people love/hate me :-)

      But at least I'm loyal :-)

      Love, Dylan

      Delete
    2. Oh, and it just dawned on me that we are only talking about American and English poets? There was a time when I was mad about Russian poetry (in translation). Anna Akhmatova captured my youth in the same way as Dickinson and Plath: I used to recite her great poems from memory as I waited for the bus during the worst winters in Chicago. That's how I managed to stay alive. And that's why I remain grateful for good poetry...

      Delete

Don't be shy...