Sunday, September 9, 2018

THE STORY OF MY FATHER: CAT'S IN THE CRADLE - HARRY CHAPIN




I first heard this song on the radio in 1975. It totally reminded me of how my father (if you can call him that) treated me all of my life: I only actually got to meet him around ten times. He never paid child support. And my last "meeting" with him was during my late teens in which he took me to a bunch of bars and pool halls (where he liked to hustle people for money), and had no problem at all telling me my new shoes and long hair made me look like a faggot. Nice.

I decided right then and there that I no longer wanted to try and get to know this monstrosity of a man that had no business bringing children into this world ( because he was so good looking, he forever used women as a meal ticket). He couldn't care less about any of the many children he brought into this world.

Much later, I was astonished to receive a phone call from the latest woman he was involved with asking me to come and live with them to help take care of my dying father. I was polite to the woman, but when my "father" picked up the phone, I told him if he really wanted to know my feelings on the subject - then listen to this great Harry Chapin song. He didn't even know who Harry Chapin was. That speaks volumes alone. (My so-called father was a musician).

P.S. BTW, I am NOT saying Harry Chapin was related to me in any way. I am merely saying that his great song reminded me of my abusive relationship with my own father big time. Harry Chapin was a true artist. My father was a total bastard.

Music Copyright 1974 by Harry Chapin

1 comment:

  1. A final word about my father: The only fond memory I have of him is when he used to push me on the swings in the park. I must have been about two - my parents got divorced six months after I was born: A woman can only endure a certain number of black eyes and broken arms, etc. I don't blame her for getting rid of him.

    After that, he would turn up once every three years or so. I was always afraid of him. He blamed me (I was a sissy). No, I saw what he did to my mother, and I did not want to be around such a coward and bully. I will never for the life of me understand what my mother saw in him in the first place? Never be deceived by a handsome/pretty face...

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...